10 THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT DRONE-BASED LIDAR AND YOUR BUSINESS
LiDAR is a technology that has been around for a while, and the demand for its application is booming especially in industries such as surveying, engineering, inspection, mining, and construction. Integrating LiDAR with drone technology is creating new possibilities and allowing teams to safely complete more projects in a fraction of the time, without sacrificing data quality. Request a demo or Further Information
Is your business ready to take to the sky but you still have some questions about the technology and resources needed to launch? Microdrones has streamlined the entire process of operating our mdLiDAR integrated systems and we’re happy to help you select the right solution. If you’re getting ready to make drones a part of your work, here’s10 THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT DRONE-BASED LIDAR AND YOUR BUSINESS.
1. Drone-based LiDAR can increase your profits: Save time in the field and in the process. You can have more projects — and, therefore, you can have more business going at one time.
2. LiDAR is great in heavy vegetation:
One of the main benefits of having LiDAR is the capability of being able to penetrate ground vegetation. For projects where, with photogrammetry, you would not be able to have a view of the ground, with LiDAR, this is no longer a barrier.
3. LiDAR is not only for use in areas with thick vegetation: Besides dealing with thick vegetation Drone-LiDAR can be used anywhere to help streamline your current workflows to become more efficient while helping you to complete more projects.
4. With drone-based LiDAR, teams can work more safely in hard-to-access areas: EDF, the national French electric company, needed to scan a dam the banks of the water. Normally, these areas are difficult and dangerous to access on foot. Drone-Based Lidar eliminates the risk and safely captures the data from the air.
5. Drone-based LiDAR completes jobs in a fraction of the time: Using traditional survey methods the EDF dam project would have taken weeks to work through the terrain and safely navigate the banks of the water. With Drone-LiDAR they were able to cover the entire project in 110 minutes.
6. Drone-based LiDAR quickly produces high-quality data: It took approximately 30 minutes to process the data from the EDF project and create a high-quality colourized point cloud. Processing the data with traditional methods would have taken them at least 10 to 12 hours.
7. Drone-based LiDAR is simple — much simpler than a helicopter: One of the advantages of drone-based LiDAR is the cost. With other kinds of aerial LiDAR, such as helicopters, costs can soar. Deploying a helicopter is also complicated and time-consuming. Drone-LiDAR is much more practical and by using mdCockpit to create your plan, the flight is practically automated. In the end, you save time, money and produce a high-quality dataset.
8. Microdrones mdLiDAR is a complete solution — and that’s important: Microdrones is the only provider of end-to-end drone-based LiDAR solutions. Our systems rely on an easy workflow that fully integrates advanced UAVs with sensor hardware, software, and complete support. That’s important because there’s communication between all of our components, from the drone to the planning software, mdCockpit, to the payload, to the software we use to process the data.
9. Consolidated support is good when investing in new technologies: One of the main strengths of Microdrones is that we're able to support you with a full solution. With other UAV systems, there is a drone with one brand, a payload from another, and the integration happened by a separate company. When an issue occurs, users don’t know who to call. With Microdrones, that's not the case. There is one point of contact and we'll be here to support you in every aspect of your experience. We have our team of engineers who will provide solutions, and one point of contact to support all of your needs. We have been in the market for 10 years. There's a lot of experience on our team; we know what we're doing. Surveying and mapping are day-to-day activities for us.
10. Drone-based LiDAR will improve your workflow: challenge yourself to ask, ‘how can I be better in my current workflow? Which kind of tools can make me better?’ This is where drone-based LiDAR is very strong. It can reduce your time in the field, can reduce your time for processing the data, and can deliver very high-quality data sets for you to build the final deliverables for your clients. All of which will increase your business. Microdrones is widely recognized for our Drone LiDAR technology leadership. Our integrated systems combine a drone, a LiDAR payload, a fully integrated software workflow, and world-class support to consistently provide quality deliverables. Learn how our mdLiDAR systems can help you access challenging terrain, deal with heavy vegetation, or complete extremely time-consuming surveying or mapping projects safely while cutting costs and saving time. We can help. CLICK HERE to speak with one of our experts.